Friday, September 3, 2010

And You Shall Know Them By What They Eat (part 2)

I'm not going to add a whole lot to what I said in the introduction to part one of this little photoblog (which can be found here) except to say that even for me this has been an eye-opening experience. When I started out on this little journey I knew that even in this small area there was quite a large concentration of restaurants and markets serving all different types of foods and peoples, but I really didn't know quite how many there were. Again I'm reminded how easy it is to pass through an area every day and be so caught up in other things that you don't really see all of the place that are passing by. Even with all of the pictures in these two posts they ae not completely comprehensive, and I know there are some places that I have left out, either by choice, because I couldn't get a good picture, or simply because I missed it. Please feel free to let me know about any of your favorite places or any great (or even not-so-great) eating/shopping experiences you've had in the area in the comments section.

And do look for some follow up to these posts in the coming weeks. If there's one thing doing these photo essays has made me determined to do, it's to get out and explore this neighborhood more. To meet more of the people involved in these shops and eateries, to find out more about the names and faces behind some of these signs and doors and windows, to try their food and to get to know them. And as I do, I'll be sure to share those experiences here with you.

Ok, let's get on with the pictures, shall we?

And, of course, once you've managed to visit all of those places, there may be one more place in the area you may need to check out:
Seriously, though, it's been a lot of fun for me to take a new look at my own neighborhood, and I encourage you, no matter where you might live, to slow down, take a look around and try to see what's new and different in your own neighborhood. Who knows what kind of new things you might find that you just pass by everyday. And maybe if we all took the time to do that a little bit more, we might find in our differences things that can also help to bring us together.

Like sharing a good meal...

2 comments:

  1. What, no Siam Cafe? On the bright side, without that this post makes me less homesick for Nolensville Road.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, Siam Cafe is in part one.

    ReplyDelete